The Canal d’Entreroches (English: canal between the cliffs) was planned in the 17th century as a link between the Rhine and Lake Geneva, and would have enabled inland waterway communication between the North Sea and the Mediterranean. It linked the river Thielle (German: Zihl) at Yverdon-les-Bains with the Venoge at Cossonay. It was completed in 1648, and remained in operation until 1829. Some five kilometres of it still remain.
Copyright: CC 3.0