The Fort du Scex is a component of Fortress Saint-Maurice, which is in turn one of the three principal fortified regions of the National Redoubt of Switzerland. The Fort du Scex was built in the Scex cliff face immediately to the west of Saint-Maurice beginning in 1911. With the later Fort de Cindey, it comprises a fortress complex encased in rock high above the strategic Saint-Maurice valley. The fort lost its combat function in 1984 and was entirely deactivated in 1995. It is now open for public tours during the summer months.
The Fort du Scex is arranged along a mined gallery paralleling the face of the Scex escarpment at a distance from the rock face of about 10 metres , with side galleries extending to the cliff face for observation posts and artillery positions. Lateral branches to the interior of the mountain lead to troop accommodations, the command post, ammunition magazines and utility areas. Primarily an artillery position, the fort was planned to provide supporting fire to the larger and earlier forts Savatan and Dailly on the right bank of the Rhône.
Copyright: CC 3.0