Burgdorf Castle is a castle in the municipality of Burgdorf in the canton of Bern in Switzerland. It is a Swiss heritage site of national significance.
During the High Middle Ages the land that would become Burgdorf was owned by the Kingdom of Burgundy and then after 1080 by the Dukes of Zähringen. Either the kings or the dukes built a castle on the left bank of the Emme river, this castle was first mentioned in 1080 as castellum Bertoldi ducis. In 1077 and 1084, a fortification on the Emme was mentioned, but the specific castle was not named, but it may have referred to Burgdorf. In 1139 it was mentioned as the Upper Castle which implies that there was a Lower Castle nearby. In 1210 it was called castello Burgdorf.
Copyright: Creative Commons 3.0
© 2006-2019 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com