The Hochschule Mittweida is a public university of applied science located in Mittweida, Germany, founded in 1867.
The University of Applied Sciences Mittweida is the second-largest public university of applied sciences in Saxony. It has had almost 80,000 alumni from almost 40 countries worldwide. Founded in 1867 as “Technicum”, the university first served the education of machine-building engineers, and it was one of the largest private schools in Germany at the turn of the century. After the takeover by the National Socialists, the “Technicum” lost its status as a private school, and in 1935 became the “Engineering School Mittweida” . In the 1960s, due to the success of the electrotechnical training program, the school became the “Engineering College Mittweida”. In 1980, it received the right to award the academic degree of “doctor engineer”. In 1992, after the reunification, the college received a new start as a university of applied sciences. The number of courses of study and the supply of research facilities increased , and the schools of economic sciences, media, and social work were established. Furthermore, the university obtained the right to award doctorates in cooperation with another university as partner. The university builds strong contacts with the economy, focused in particular on small- and medium-sized enterprises in Saxony. The Bologna process has guided the university's development in recent years and has resulted in the establishment of bachelor and master courses. Today the university offers practice-oriented teaching in modern and disabled-friendly facilities, numerous laboratories, and computer pools. The architecture of the buildings combines new with old. In 1998, to reflect its modern role, the university was renamed as the “University of Applied Sciences Mittweida“.
Copyright: CC 3.0