The Palace of the Republic (German: Palast der Republik) in Berlin was the seat of the parliament of the German Democratic Republic, the People's Chamber, and also served various cultural purposes. Located on the bank of the Spree River between Schloßplatz and the Lustgarten (both referred to jointly as Marx-Engels-Platz from 1951 to 1994), it also housed two large auditoria, art galleries, a theatre, 13 restaurants, a bowling alley, a post office, and a discothèque. On 23 August 1990, the Volkskammer ratified the treaty on German reunification, which was later also confirmed by the Bundestag in Bonn. The building was constructed between 1973 and 1976 at the site of the former Hohenzollern palace (Stadtschloß), and was completely demolished by 2008 to make room for a reconstruction of the Stadtschloß, which began in 2013.
Copyright: CC 3.0