The Mines of Rammelsberg are a UNESCO World heritage site. Initially the main product was silver ore, then later copper, and finally lead. The mines were exhausted only in the 1980s, and were shut down in 1988.
Mining at the Rammelsberg was first mentioned in the Res gestae saxonicae by Saxon chronicler Widukind of Corvey about 968. The site knew a continuous mineral extraction over a period of more than 1000 years.