St. Peter's Church in Hamburg stands on the site of many former cathedrals. Built by order of Pope Leo X, it has been a Protestant cathedral since the Reformation and its congregation forms part of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Northern Germany.
It is believed that the church is near the original Hammaburg area and that previous cathedral existed on the site. St. Peter's was probably built at the start of the 1189; it was first documented in 1195 as a market cathedral or ecclesia forensis. In about 1310, the cathedral was rebuilt in a Gothic style and was completed in approximately 1418. The bronze lion-head door handles, the oldest work of art of Hamburg, date from the foundation of the tower in 1342.
Copyright: CC 3.0