Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf was founded in 1965 as the successor organisation to Düsseldorf’s Medical Academy of 1907. Following several expansions throughout the decades, the university has comprised five faculties since 1993. At present, more than 20,000 full-time students are pursuing studies at HHU. There is a total staff of approximately 2,900 persons at HHU .
The "early history" of Düsseldorf University began with the Düsseldorf Academy for Practical Medicine in 1907. The city’s first real university, however, was only founded in 1965 by adding a combined Faculty of Natural Sciences–Arts and Humanities to the existing medical one. Only four years later the university split the combined faculty into two separate bodies, which led to the constitution of a Faculty of Arts and Humanities as well as a Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences. In 1979 a modern University and State Library was opened to the public, and a sports centre was added in 1980/81. Following a quarrel of more than 23 years, the "nameless" university of Düsseldorf was finally christened after the poet Heinrich Heine, one of Düsseldorf’s most famous sons, in 1989. From this period on, the campus university has been opening up towards the city and its citizens. Heinrich Heine University’s Faculty of Business Administration and Economics opened in 1990, the Faculty of Law in 1993.
Copyright: CC 3.0