Situated next to the Pasing Town Hall, in a beautiful courtyard, the Pasing Viktualienmarkt offers everything you could wish for: bread and cheese, fish and meat, flowers and herbs. For almost a century the market has supplied the people of Pasing, who at that time were not citizens of Munich , with fresh groceries in best quality.
The nomination of Pasing as a city in 1905 is the beginning of the history of Pasing Viktualenmarkt. The city council decided to establish a market for vegetables, fruits and plants on 9 July 1906. It was decided to hold the market at the south-western corner of the Pasing Marienplatz opposite the Institut der Englischen Fräulein. In January 1907 the Royal Government of Upper Bavaria granted permission for this. The layout of the market turned out to be something of a problem as everyone built their stalls in the way they wanted. Ultimately they came to terms and the first market day was held on 16 March 1907. From the beginning the market was well accepted, but the customers were only people from Pasing so that an efficiency calculation was carried out in 1908. This showed that the Viktualienmarkt in Pasing was not really profitable. The reason for this was that itinerant traders sold their goods more cheaply at the verge of the market as they did not have to pay a fee. This problem was solved by changing the market regulations.
Copyright: CC 3.0