Freiburg Botanical Garden is a botanical garden in the Herdern district at Schänzlestraße 1, Freiburg im Breisgau, Baden-Württemberg, Germany and is associated with the University of Freiburg as the "Forschungs- und Lehrgarten der Universität Freiburg" of the Faculty of Biology. The current director of the garden is Professor Dr. Thomas Speck.
The garden was founded in 1620 by the University of Freiburg. A building on the same property was rebuilt as a hospital for members of the university, which also served for anatomy training. It was one of the first botanical gardens in Germany. The garden was originally part of the University of Freiburg Faculty of Medicine. The first director of the garden was Jacobus Walter , a professor of medicine who was also responsible for botany. During the Thirty Years' War, the garden was destroyed.
Copyright: CC 3.0
Freiburg im Breisgau