The Church of the Redeemer of Bad Homburg belongs to the Protestant Church in Germany. Finished in 1908, the building is outwardly of a heavy, Romanesque Revival appearance, while its interior is held in a neo-Byzantine style, with rich marble wall decorations and gold mosaics covering the domed ceiling, leading to the church sometimes being called 'Bad Homburg's Hagia Sophia'.
The church was built to serve Bad Homburg's Evangelical Christians which around the start of the 20th century suffered from lack of a sufficient congregation space. Its construction was paid for and the design supervised by Wilhelm II, the German Emperor, who had by then made Bad Homburg a summer residence town, and later often came to worship in the church, sitting in his own imperial box with a private entrance. Empress Auguste-Viktoria also provided the jewel-studded altar cross which was originally intended for the Church of the Redeemer in Jerusalem.
Copyright: CC 3.0