The TU Braunschweig is the oldest technische Universität in Germany. It was founded in 1745 as Collegium Carolinum and is a member of TU9, an incorporated society of the most renowned and largest German institutes of technology. It is commonly ranked among the top universities for engineering in Germany. Today it has about 20,000 students, making it the third-largest university in Lower Saxony after the University of Göttingen and the University of Hanover. TU Braunschweig’s research profile is very interdisciplinary, but with a focus on aeronautics, vehicle engineering including autonomous driving and electric mobility, manufacturing, life sciences, and metrology. The research is conducted in close collaboration with external organizations such as the German Aerospace Center, Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research, several Fraunhofer Institutes or Germany's national metrology institute among many others. As one of very few research institutions of its type in the world, the university has its own research airport.
Its complete name is Technische Universität Carolo-Wilhelmina zu Braunschweig. Translating the name into English is discouraged by the university, but proposed translations are University of Braunschweig - Institute of Technology or Braunschweig Institute of Technology . While the word "technology" in its name implies a focus on science and engineering, it is still a university in the sense that it represents a wide range of subjects. It is subdivided into six schools with different degree programmes and specialisations.
Copyright: CC 3.0