The Bremerhaven lighthouse, also known as the Simon Loschen tower or Loschen-lighthouse, is the rear light of a pair of Leading lights at the "New Harbour" of Bremerhaven, Germany. It is the oldest operative lighthouse on the mainland along Germany's North Sea shore and is counted among the city's landmarks.
From 1853 to 1855 the lighthouse was built in the style of northern German Brick Gothic at the northern side of the harbour's lock from 1852, using plans by architect Simon Loschen from Bremen. It went operational in 1856. Next to the lighthouse there is another brick house that used to serve as a quarters and service building for the lighthouse and lock keepers and was partially destroyed during World War II.
Copyright: CC 3.0