Flender Werke was a German shipbuilding company, located in Lübeck. It was founded in 1917 as a branch of Brückenbau Flender AG of Benrath on the Rhine. In 1926 it was made a fully independent business and renamed Lübecker Flenderwerke AG. It went on to become one of the largest shipyards in Germany, building nearly 700 ships in all.
After the war, Flender Werke continued to build merchant ships, and in 1973 were renamed Flender Werft AG. In 2002 they were forced to close because of insolvency.
Copyright: CC 3.0