Friedrichswerder Church was the first Neo-Gothic church built in Berlin, Germany. It was designed by an architect better known for his Neoclassical architecture, Karl Friedrich Schinkel, and was built under his direction, 1824-1831.
The building is maintained by the Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation and is part of Berlin State Museums' ensemble. In late 2012, the building was closed indefinitely, owing to structural damage suffered from nearby building activity. Previously it held Berlin National Gallery's collection of nineteenth-century German sculpture, showing works of Johann Gottfried Schadow, Karl Friedrich Schinkel and Christian Daniel Rauch, among others. On the upper floor was an exhibition of the work and life of Karl Friedrich Schinkel. These artworks have been removed and are not on display since.
Copyright: CC 3.0