The King Frederick Augustus Tower is the only preserved observation tower of cast iron in Europe and perhaps the oldest tower built of iron. It is located on the Löbauer Berg at Löbau in Saxony, offering a panoramic view of the Zittau Hills and the Upper Lusatia region. The tower was built in 1854 by the Löbau citizens and named after King Frederick Augustus II of Saxony.
King-Friedrich-August-Tower, which has a total height of 28 meters , has three observation galleries 12, 18 and 24 metres above ground. It was designed by Friedrich August Bretschneider jun. modeled on The Crystal Palace, its erection cost 25.000 Taler. Construction work started on May 18, 1854 after preparation of ground started on January 12, 1854. On September 9, 1854 it was inaugurated after King Frederick Augustus II had died on vacation in Tyrol just before. In 1993, it was dismantled and its parts were thoroughly restored. In 1994, it was rebuilt.
Copyright: CC 3.0