The Opelwerk Brandenburg was built, with impressive speed, in 1935 on the initiative of the government in order to ensure supplies of Opel trucks for the army. Opel were an obvious candidate for the project, having pioneered mass production techniques in German passenger car production at their Rüsselsheim plant: by the late 1920s the company held more than 25% of the domestic passenger car market. Between November 1935 and August 1944 more than 130,000 trucks were produced at the Brandenburg plant.
A press release early in 1935 stated that Adam Opel AG, backed by the government, had decided to build a new plant at Brandenburg an der Havel because production capacity at their existing Rüsselsheim was fully employed. Rapid progress was envisaged, with the factory scheduled to be ready for use in October 1935, in order to free up capacity at Rüsselsheim ahead of the launch of the 1936 passenger car range.
Copyright: CC 3.0
Brandenburg an der Havel