The company was found by Simon Schocken and Salman Schocken . After Simon had married into the owner family of Warenhaus Ury Gebrüder in Leipzig, the two brothers enlarged the business to a chain by establishing a second department store in Zwickau. In 1930, the company had become the fourth largest department store company in Germany with 20 stores. After the death of Simon Schocken in a car crash in 1929, his brother was sole owner.
The most famous stores are the ones in Nuremberg , Stuttgart and Chemnitz built by architect Erich Mendelsohn. All three can be seen as milestones in modern architecture.
Copyright: CC 3.0