The Zigarettenfabrik A. Batschari was a German cigar and cigarette manufacturer established in 1834 in Baden-Baden by August Batscharis. Along with other cigarette manufacturers of the period like Josef Garbáty and Manoli, Batschari was at the time a patron of the arts, employing famous artists such as Hans Rudi Erdt, Ivo Puhonny, Lucian Bernhard and Ludwig Hohlwein to produce advertising material. Today, vintage Batschari enamel signs, glass plates, cigarette boxes and posters are popular collectors' items.
Heinrich Reinboldt, August Batscharis' father in law, produced high-quality handmade cigars in a rented house, with some financial success. A short time later he moved production to a small factory. Batscharis subsequently took over the business, increasing the daily production from 110,000 cigarettes per year in 1899 to up to more than three million. Between 1908 and 1909 Batscharis commissioned the construction of a large factory called Batscharifabrik in Baden-Baden, between the Balzenberg and Mozart streets. The ABC cigarette marque was by then known beyond Germany, and the company had outlets in most major European cities as well as in Madison Avenue in New York.
Copyright: CC 3.0