The Prinzregententheater, or Prince Regent Theatre, is a theatre and opera house located at 12 Prinzregentenplatz in the Bavarian city of Munich, Germany.
Initiated by Ernst von Possart, the theatre was built in the Prinzregentenstrasse as a festival hall for the operas of Richard Wagner near an area where a similar project of King Ludwig II had failed some decades before. Named after Luitpold, Prince Regent of Bavaria the building was designed by Max Littmann and opened 21 August 1901 with a production of "Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg" by Richard Wagner. Like the Bayreuth theatre, the auditorium was designed to Wagner’s specifications, however an amphitheater has replaced the loges.
Copyright: CC 3.0