The County of Werdenfels in the present-day Werdenfelser Land in South Germany was a county that enjoyed imperial immediacy that belonged to the Bishopric of Freising from the late 13th century until the secularisation of the Bishopric in 1803.
The county was administered from Werdenfels Castle. In 1294 Count Perchthold of Eschenloh sold his land to Bishop Emicho of Freising. The county was divided into three administrative areas: Garmisch, Partenkirchen and Mittenwald. The senior judge had his seat in Garmisch, where he held his hearings . Court sessions initially took place at the castle, but in 1632 they were moved to Schwaigwang.
Copyright: CC 3.0