The Giechburg is a partly reconstructed hilltop castle located within the city district of Scheßlitz in Upper Franconia, Bavaria, Germany. The castle has given its name to a district within the city.
Archeological evidence indicates that this hilltop was fortified as far back as Neolithic times. The castle enters written history in 1125, and its possession thereafter is marked by a succession of wills and bequest documents, punctuated by at least one forcible transfer in 1142. The castle entered the possession of the prince-bishops of Bamberg in 1390, and its history thereafter is closely allied to the bishopric and the city of Bamberg. From 1421 until 1459, a period of disorder associated with the Hussites in nearby Bohemia, the castle was further fortified and strengthened until it took its final form as a mature medieval castle with a keep.
Copyright: CC 3.0