The church St. Gumbertus is one of the central city churches of Ansbach, Bavaria, together with the neighboring St. Johannis. Located in the Altstadt of Ansbach, St. Gumbertus, now a Lutheran church, was originally the church of a monastery that was founded by St. Gumbert around 750. Today it serves as a venue for concerts of the music festival Bachwoche Ansbach. The church contains the oldest structures in Ansbach and is considered Ansbach's city symbol.
Gumbert, who was later proclaimed a saint, around 750 founded a monastery dedicated to Mary, following the Benedictine Rule. In the 11th century it was converted to a Chorherrenstift or collegiate church. George, Margrave of Brandenburg-Ansbach, followed the Reformation in 1528; under the principle Cuius regio, eius religio the monastery was dissolved in 1563. One of the treasures of the monastery was the Gumbertus Bible, written in Regensburg or Salzburg in the late 12th century. In 1195 it was purchased by the monastery; it is now MS. 1 in Erlangen University Library.
Copyright: CC 3.0