Schulzentrum Marienhöhe or Marienhoehe Academy is a private K-13, co-educational Christian boarding school in Darmstadt, Germany. It is owned and operated by the Seventh-day Adventist Church. The school has close ties with Friedensau Adventist University. It is a part of the Seventh-day Adventist education system, the world's second largest Christian school system.
In 1924, a group of Seventh-day Adventists bought a former gym and dance studio from Elizabeth Duncan. The estate was located on the slope of the Odenwald in Darmstadt-Eberstadt. The authorities in the state of Hesse then approved the establishment of a mission school. In 1925, a new building for the school workshops was built. Over the years, the number of workshops grew to nine: locksmith, carpentry, printing, upholstery, mattress manufacturing, knitting and others. Many students earned money from these workshops, with which they used to pay their tuition fees. Also, the number of teaching departments expanded. There was a seminary, a business school, a housekeeping school, preschool and nursing courses for educators and kindergarten teachers. In the 1927-28 school year, the school expanded to include a six-year course of preparation for higher education - today's high school equivalent. The students were prepared for graduation, at Marienhöhe, and entered into tertiary education in the Darmstadt region. The range of educational opportunities and the reputation of the seminary brought more students and pupils to the school each year. In the academic year 1928-29, enrolment peaked at 227 before the Second World War began.
Copyright: CC 3.0