The Old Jewish Cemetery of Frankfurt is located at Rat-Beil-Straße directly adjacent to the oldest parts of the gentile Frankfurt Main Cemetery. Together, Frankfurt Main Cemetery, the Old Jewish Cemetery and the New Jewish Cemetery constitute one of the largest cemetery areas in Germany. The Old Jewish Cemetery is noted for many monumental graves and includes the graves of many notable individuals. The Old Jewish Cemetery is the largest of Frankfurt's twelve Jewish cemeteries.
It was opened, together with the Main Cemetery, in 1828. By 1928, when the cemetery was closed for new graves because it was full, there were around 40,000 burials on the cemetery. Since 1928, interment has only been possible in already established graves. In its place, the New Jewish Cemetery was opened in 1928.
Copyright: CC 3.0
Frankfurt am Main