The Holzhausenschlösschen is a moated former country house built by the patrician Holzhausen family on their farm, then just north of Frankfurt and now in the city's Nordend. The present building was completed in 1729, built for Johann Hieronymus von Holzhausen on the foundations of a moated castle from the Middle Ages after a design by Louis Remy de la Fosse. Today, it serves as a venue for cultural events.
The palace was built between 1727 and 1729 by Johann Hieronymus von Holzhausen on the foundations of a moated castle from the Middle Ages. The Holzhausen family, from 1245 one of the most respected families of the free imperial city Frankfurt, owned the property called Holzhausen Oed since 1470. The term "Oed" refers to the heath, then far outside the fortified city of Frankfurt. The family used the area first for farming. A moated castle was set in the then much larger Burgweiher . The castle was expanded in 1540 but destroyed in 1552 in the siege of Frankfurt by Maurice, Elector of Saxony.
Copyright: CC 3.0
Frankfurt am Main