Places of Interest nearby
Location address: Deutschland, Münster
Number of texts: 1
Gremmendorf is a locale in the city of Münster, North-Rhine Westphalia. The area lies south-eastern of the city-center, has a population of 11,000 , and belongs to the south-eastern municipal district. Additionally, the locale is divided into two subvisions of Gremmendorf-West and Gremmendorf-East, of which the Gremmendorf-West subdivision is more central, and clearly larger by area. The locale of Gremmendorf encompasses the area of the Dortmund-Ems Canal to the large capelin and high bank.
Gremmendorf is probably less than 200 years old and is therefore one of the youngest locales in Münster. On a contemporary map of Münster from the year 1763, Gremmendorf is nowhere to be found. The locale is the result of a small settlement around the farmyard of Gremme in the Delstrup peaseantry. The Delstrup, along with the Geist and Mecklenbeck peasantries belonged to the rural community of Lamberti, and the authority of Mauritz. Delstrup became incorporated into the urban area of Münster in 1903, due to the city’s expansion. Due to this expansion on October 1, 1903, the Münster-Neubeckum route of the Westphalian state railway opened, with a stop at the Erbdrosten Way, which was later to be called Gremmendorf. In the years to come, the name Delstrup eventually faded out in favour of what it is known as today. The restaurant Waldesruh, known today as Haus Heuckmann, was first built in 1905 at Gremmendorfer Way, and in the same year was added to the then new train station as part of the same facility. In following years, barracks for Prussian military personal were built around Gremmendorfer Way due to armed mobilization in preparation for the First World War. This effort was also supported by the transformation of the Loddenheide from an industrial area to a military base, as well as the building of Luftnachrichtenkaserne 1936 , at Albersloher Way. Ever since 1920, one differentiates Old-Gremmendorf and New-Gremmendorf in lieu of new settlement around Gremmendorfer Way. After the Second World War, the barracks originally intended for German soldiers were taken over and utilized by British occupational forces as part of Osnabrück Garrison. . Due to this, the residential density of Old-Gremmendorf sharply rose, especially around Albersloher Way. In 1975, Gremmendorf was officially assigned as part of the south-eastern municipal district.