Bobingen is a town in Bavaria, Germany. It lies on the rivers Wertach and Singold, on the edge of the Augsburg-Westliche Wälder Nature Park, in Augsburg District, some 13 km south Augsburg itself.
The placename "Bobingen" goes back to the Alamannic settler "Pobo" . About 993, Bobingen was called "Pobinga" . Also about 993 came Bobingen's first documentary mention in the Vita S. Udalrici. Bobingen in today's administrative region of Swabia was later an administrative centre of the Augsburg Church Estate. As a result of the Reichsdeputationshauptschluss in 1803, the city came under Bavarian sovereignty. In 1847, the railway arrived, joining Bobingen to Lindau and Hof. In 1899, the rayon factory was founded, starting production in 1902. In 1953, the town was raised to market town, and in 1969 to city. In 1972, the communities of Straßberg, Reinhartshausen and Burgwalden were amalgamated into Bobingen. Bobingen now belongs to the Augsburg district. In 1975, the communities of Waldberg and Kreuzanger were also amalgamated into Bobingen. In 1993, the city hall was completed. In 1994, the city held a thousandth-anniversary celebration, as well as celebrating 25 years as a city. In 2004, the city saw the completion of the rehabilitation and expansion of the city hospital. In 2005, the city's buildings underwent beautification.
Copyright: CC 3.0