Rubber Island is the nickname of an estate in the western part of Giessen . Due to its location close to the Lahn river, and because it was close to the rubber factory Poppe & Co. The area was then isolated from the rest of the city on the opposite side of the Lahn. Even today, the area can be clearly demarcated by its physical structure of the rest of the western city.
The residential area was built 1932-39 as a settlement of small two-storey red brick houses with no basement, each with a small front yard. They were built within a concept similar to council houses as emergency shelters, especially for families of Yenish tradesmen, showmen, scrap merchants, second-hand dealers and descendants of regional Sinti families.
Copyright: CC 3.0