The Marienstiftskirche is a Lutheran three-aisled Hall church in Lich, Middle Hesse, Germany. It was built between 1510 and 1537, making it the last Late Gothic hall church to be built in Hesse. The architectural style straddles the transition between Gothic and Renaissance. It is a Hessian National heritage site and contains objects of national art historical significance. The neighbouring Stadtturm, with its historic triple peal serves as a clocktower for the Marienstiftskirche.
A parish is attested in Lich in the year 1239, which presupposes a church existed by that date. In 1316, the Marienstift was founded by Philip III of Falkenstein, as a collegiate church with ten canons, which was intended to educate young men for the priesthood. Three neighbouring churches were incorporated along with Lich. A large amount of property of the surrounding churches and districts was donated for the maintenance of the college. In the year of the college's foundation, a new, stone church was begun which was roughly two thirds the size of the present building. The hall church, with a long choir and rood screen was consecrated to Mary on 7 May 1320. It survived less than two hundred years. In 1510 it was entirely demolished to make way for the construction of the present building on the same site. Only a few sections of wall in the west wall survive.
Copyright: CC 3.0