The agricultural village had 216 inhabitants on the last day of 2010. The village, called Eghenburnen in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, before it was abandoned, was rebuilt around 1534 . The village lies in a valley surrounded by the forested hills Stadtberg, Hunoldsberg, Gehlenberg, Silberberg, Klafterberg, and das Rote Ufer. The fields and hills are traversed by farm roads and paths.
The village lies on Kreisstrasse 44. The nearest large city is Göttingen, the Landkreis capital, about 25 km to the north-west by road, with Duderstadt just 12 km to the north-east and Heiligenstadt the same distance south.
Copyright: CC 3.0