Places of Interest nearby
Location address: Deutschland, Celle
Number of texts: 1
Altencelle is part of the borough of Celle in Lower Saxony and lies southeast of the town centre, west of the River Aller and east of the Fuhse. It is linked to Celle by the B 214 federal road and state highway K 74.
The present day name of Altencelle clearly shows that the original town of Celle , “old Celle” or alte Celle, was located here. The village was first mentioned in the records in 986 as Kellu . At that time there was a castle there belonging to the Brunonen family. Today, like the Ringwall von Burg in the suburb of Burg, only archaeological evidence remains. Duke Otto the Strict left Altencelle in 1292 and founded the “new” Celle about 3 kilometres northwest near another existing castle.