The Elisabethschule was founded in 1879 as Höhere Töchterschule. It was a school only for girls in this time. The first school building was located in the Universitätsstraße in the centre of Marburg. During the 1950s the new building in the Leopold-Lucas-Straße in Marburg Ockershausen was established. Since 1969 also boys were allowed to attend the school.
Between 1936 and 1938 all jewish school girls and teachers were forced to leave the school. In 1993 a memorial was established in the form of a star of David for the 66 jewish victims of the school caused by the Nazi regime.
Copyright: CC 3.0