Waldsassen is the northernmost municipality of the Upper Palatinate region. In the northeast, it borders the town of Cheb in the Czech Republic. The historic tripoint of ducal Altbayern, the Franconian lands of Bayreuth, and the Bohemian Egerland lies near the village of Pechtnersreuth.
The town is famous for the Waldsassen Basilica and former Waldsassen Abbey, both erected in a Baroque style. The latter contains the much visited Abbey library, whose wood carvings were completed by Karl Stilp in 1726. Four km north of the town, on Glasberg hill, is the Chapel of the Trinity , built in 1689, and a popular pilgrimage destination.
Copyright: CC 3.0