Places of Interest nearby
Location address: Deutschland, Cochem-Zell
Number of texts: 1
The Martin city gate was built in 1352 according to an order of elector Baldwin of Luxembourg, the archbishop of Trier. It was built as a toll house. A chain, connecting the city gate with the opposite border of the river Mosel could stop ships trying to escape their duty of paying taxes.
Later on a new owner, Louis Ravené, created a storing room for ice in the small tower of the city gate.