The parish church St Bartholomew's Church is the town church of Themar in Thuringia. It is dedicated to St Bartholomew. It belongs to the most richly equipped churches of the upper valley of the Werra. It is one of the few buildings of the small town, first mentioned in 796, which outlasted all storms of the time. The Oberkirche at the upper gate and the Unterkirche at the Werra were the first places of worship in the place. Of the Romanesque Unterkirche there still exist some remainders in the vestry and in both lower floors of the church tower. Pope Sixtus IV gave permission for the restoration of the church on 14 May 1484 with countess Margaretha of Henneberg intermediating.
On 3 May 1488 the Chorherr of the Premonstratensian monastery Veßra and minister of Themar Antonius König founded the building of today's church. In 1502 the hall church in late Gothic style was completed.
Copyright: CC 3.0