Places of Interest nearby
Location address: Deutschland, Frankfurt am Main
Number of texts: 1
The Maingau Clinic of the Red Cross is a clinic in Frankfurt, Germany, which is run by the German Red Cross. It is located near the Eschenheimer Anlage park in central Frankfurt, with the address Scheffelstraße 2–14.
The clinic traces its history to the 1890 establishment of the Maingau Nursing Society by the Frankfurt branch of the Patriotic Women’s Association. Its main goal was the education of nurses, and for this purpose the society bought a building near the Eschenheimer Anlage. In 1897 the society formally became part of the Red Cross movement, under the name Schwesternschaft Maingau vom Roten Kreuz. In 1912 the current hospital building was formally inaugurated as the Empress Augusta Victoria House. The construction of the hospital was made possibly by donations from wealthy citizens and especially by the support from the Frankfurt banker Georg Speyer and his wife Franziska Speyer , both prominent philanthropists in Frankfurt and members of the Speyer family, one of the city’s oldest and most prominent Jewish families. The building was renovated and extended in the 1950s.