Places of Interest nearby
Location address: Deutschland, Goslar
Number of texts: 1
Abbenrode is a village and a former municipality in the district of Harz, in Saxony-Anhalt, Germany. Since 1 January 2010, it has been part of the municipality of Nordharz. It is situated near the Ecker river north of the Harz mountain range at the border with the state of Lower Saxony.
The settlement in the Duchy of Saxony was first mentioned in a deed issued in 1129 by King Lothair III of Germany. In about 1141 Bishop Rudolf of Halberstadt established a monastery of Canons Regular here, which was devastated during the 1525 German Peasants’ War and finally dissolved in 1554. After World War II the village became isolated and decayed owing to its location close to the Inner-German border.