Stockum was first mentioned in 882 as villa stochem. Villa stochem was a little castle that was owned by a knight who called himself "op der Heyde". During the so-called Dortmunder Fehde in 1388/89, Stochem was burned down by soldiers from Archebishop of Cologne, who fought a war against Dortmund, that was just a few kilometres north of the village. In 1423/24 it was burned down for the second time - this time by troops of the Margrave of the County Mark who fought a war against his own brother. In 1701 Stockum became a part of Prussia, 1752 the first coal mine was built - and the era of mining began. This era ended in 1904. In 1929 Stockum became a borough of Witten.
Copyright: CC 3.0