Architect: Jenaro de la Fuente Domínguez
Address: C/ Cánovas del Castillo, 28
The hotel was built in two stages. First the corner part between the streets Carral and Montero Ríos was built and then the building was finished in 1904 with the façade on Montero Ríos. The same building plan was used in both stages so the whole building conserved the same style. The space in front of the building on Montero Ríos was declared a public square in 1889 and became a very popular outdoor café area.
A rhythmic succession of individual balconies alternating with continuous balconies emphasizes the horizontal quality of the façade.
The façade on Montero Ríos is masonry while the other sides combine both masonry and stonework, giving the building a less weighty appearance.
The building conserves its original design and is now the Hotel Universal, one of the best known hotels in the city for years. It was recently acquired by the hotel chain AC and was fully restored inside before reopening as the new Hotel AC Palacio Universal.
Copyright: All rights reserved
More info and booking