Starting from the 11th century, stone churches, some as a part of Benedictine monastic complexes, began to be built in the area. The earliest of these stone churches had wooden trusses supporting the roofs. The church of St. Vincent was begun about 1020 and consecrated in 1047. The building material is cut stone. The stonework is austere, but sophisticated in the uniform size of the cut blocks and the quality of the masonry.
Copyright: CC 3.0