The arrival of people from the Montnegre in Canet meant that a new parish church had to be made. The building was built between 1579 and 1591 under the direction of Onofre Anrich, although the present church is the result of numerous refurbishments. The most important one was made between 1940 and 1946, when the whole of the crossing had to be rebuilt as it had fallen in the Civil War.
On the facade, the most impressive part is the 42 m bell tower finished in 1805, the symbol of the Canet golden period of seafaring. Architecturally speaking, it is very interesting because of its careful treatment of geometric forms. Inside the church, it is easy to see the different phases of construction. The first is late Gothic, whereas the crossing is in Neogothic style. The Santíssim Chapel, rebuilt in 1950 in modernised Baroque style, is also very interesting.
Canet de Mar