Places of Interest nearby
Number of texts: 1
The first documentary references to the town of Malpica date back to the 13th century. Malpica, born, raised and developed by the sea, first belonged to the seigniory of the Archdiocese of Santiago de Compostela, but two centuries later became part of the domains of Sancho de Ulloa, The Count of Monterrei.
References to whaling in Malpica date back to the end of the 16th century and the beginning of the 17th century. Around the year 1600, the cardinal Jerónimo del Hoyo explained it: ‘This is Galicia’s most important whaling port’. Seasoned Cantabrian and Basque sailors went out to sea in the coldest months of the year on their boats after paying the fee charged by the Archbishop of Compostela. Along with Malpica, Caión (municipality of A Laracha) was the other important whaling port of this stretch of the Costa da Morte.
Whaling was a profitable activity that made of Malpica an important economic centre. Malpica housed the Maritime Command Post until 1895, when it was moved to Ponteceso and subsequently to Corme.
Turn right to see the Sisargas Balcony Trail running along the seafront from the area around Caldeirón, through the Area Maior Beach and up to Canido Beach.