Public | French
You are now in the Alcalde Noriega Patiño Street, very near the port of Camariñas.
The facade of the house known as "Casa das Romualdas" was the chosen location to display this gift donated by the captain of the English battleship HMS Serpent as a token of gratitude for the help rendered by the courageous villagers during the wreck (10/11/1890) that killed 172 of its 175 crew members. Only three survived.
Find the wooden urn located on one side of the facade. The house dates back to the 19th century and belonged to a local citizen who emigrated to Mexico and later returned.
Along with the barometer, the British Admiralty gave the Xaviña priest a shotgun with the inscription "The Lord Commissioner of the British Admiralty," and to the then mayor,Vicente Pérez,a gold watch. Nothing is known at present about the latter gifts.
VIDEO: The English Cemetery "Our Sea of Albion"
VIDEO: Shipwrecks Camariñas "sea stories
Copyright: All rights reserved
© 2006-2018 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com