The present cathedral was built between 1170 and the middle of the 13th century through the initiative of Bishop Arnulf. It was the seat of the Bishop of Lisieux until the diocese of Lisieux was abolished under the Concordat of 1801 and merged into the Diocese of Bayeux. The edifice is 110 meters and is a national monument.
The west front of the building consists of three portals surmounted by two towers. The south tower was built in the 16th century and at the top bears a 17th-century flèche. Buttresses were added to the south face in the 15th century. The cathedral survived World War II wholly intact though the town suffered Allied bombing in 1944.
Copyright: CC 3.0