Places of Interest nearby
Location address: France, Basse-Normandie, Caen
Number of texts: 2
The Abbey of Saint-Etienne, also known as Abbaye aux Hommes (“Men’s Abbey”), is a former monastery in the French city of Caen, Normandy. Dedicated to Saint Stephen (“Saint Étienne”), it is considered, along with the neighbouring Abbaye aux Dames (“Ladies’ Abbey”), to be one of the most notable Romanesque buildings in Normandy. Like all the major abbeys in Normandy, it was Benedictine. Lanfranc, before being an Archbishop of Canterbury, was abbot of Saint-Etienne.
William the Conqueror died at age 59 after he fell off his horse. He died in the Convent of St Gervais in Rouen. He got burried in the Abbaye-aux-Hommes.
The story is that on the day of his burial, it was so hot that the body in the stone coffin started to “explode”, and the church had to be evacuated.
In 1562, looters tole his body and the content of his tomb. The monument, built 80 years later is supposed to contain only a thighbone of William.