The church of St Aurelia , situated in the west of Strasbourg near the railway station, is one of the Strasbourg churches with the longest history. A Lutheran church since the Reformation, the church is of particular historical and architectural interest.
The Church is mentioned for the first time in 801, when it is referred to as the church of Saint Maurice. The name of Saint Aurelia appears only in 1324, when there is a reference to the Church of Saint Maurice "commonly called Saint Aurelia". The change in name seems to be a response to a popular movement, since the church was known locally as Sainte Aurélie long before the name was officially changed. It is probably linked to the cult of Aurelia of Strasbourg. According to the legend, the Church stands on the site of the tomb of Aurelia.