Places of Interest nearby
Location address: France, Ile-de-France
Number of texts: 2
The Salle Le Peletier (sometimes referred to as the Salle de la rue Le Peletier or the Opéra Le Peletier) was the home of the Paris Opera from 1821 until the building was destroyed by fire in 1873. The theatre was designed and constructed by the architect François Debret on the site of the former Hôtel de Choiseul. Due to the many changes in government and management during the theatre’s existence, it had a number of different official names, the most important of which were: Théâtre de l’Académie Royale de Musique (1821–1848), Opéra-Théâtre de la Nation (1848–1850), Théâtre de l’Académie Nationale de Musique (1850–1852), Théâtre de l’Académie Impériale de Musique (1852–1854), Théâtre Impérial de l’Opéra (1854–1870), and Théâtre National de l’Opéra (1870–1873).
Le Peletier is a station of the Paris Métro. It is named after Rue le Peletier, which was named after Louis Peletier, who was the last prévôt des marchands (provost of merchants) between 1784 to 1789. This feudal position was abolished in the French Revolution.