Places of Interest nearby
Number of texts: 4
Louis XIV was suffering from anal fistulas. In 1686, the king Louis XIV was operated on by Charles François Félix, the court surgeon, without any form of anesthetic at seven in the morning on November 18. The operation took place in the king’s bedchamber at Versailles. The only onlookers were Madame de maintenon, a Minister of War named Louvois, the priest La Chaise, the doctors Daquin, Fagon and Besnières and four apothecaries who were to hold the patient.
Charles François Félix, the court surgeon operated again on December 6,8 and 10. It was on January 11 that the king first promenaded in the Orangerie at Versailles.
The Palace of Versailles (/vɛərˈsaɪ/ vair-SY or /vərˈsaɪ/ vər-SY; French: [vɛʁˈsɑj]), or simply Versailles, is a royal château in Versailles in the Île-de-France region of France. In French it is the Château de Versailles.
Versailles was at start only a village and royal hunting place. The king Louis XIV then decided that the royal court should leave the Louvre in Paris and ordered a palace to be built there.
At its peak, the city had a population of more than 50000 and was the capital of the kingdom of France, which it stayed until the French revolution.
The palace evolved under Napoleon, but was then nearly abandoned before being made a national monument in the 19th century. Its extensive gardens designed by the omnipresent Le Notre and its numerous buildings scattered in a very large estate make it one of the major attractions of Ile de France.
Source : France in Photos
The present chapel of the Palace of Versailles is the fifth in the history of the palace. These chapels evolved with the expansion of the château and formed the focal point of the daily life of the court during the Ancien Régime (Bluche, 1986, 1991; Petitfils, 1995; Solnon, 1987).