Places of Interest nearby
Location address: France, Ile-de-France, Paris, Fontaine des Innocents
Number of texts: 3
The Fontaine des Innocents is located at the formed major graveyard of Paris: Cimetière des Innocents.
Used from the 12th to 18th centuries, the graveyard became overcrowded. Corpses even fell through the ground into cellars of surrounding buildings. It was a serious source of diseases. Paris got struck twice with cholera epedemics. A solution was urgently needed.
In the mean time, a lot of buildings in Paris were submerging due to the collapsing of old underground corridors and quarries of limestone. They came to the conclusion that piling up the bones in the corridors would support the corridros and prevent collapsing. All of the bodies of Cimetière des Innocents were exhumed.
They transported millions of skeletons to the subterranean quarries near Montparnasse that are best known as the Catacombs.
The Fontaine des Innocents is a monumental public fountain located on the place Joachim-du-Bellay in the Les Halles district in the 1st arrondissement of Paris, France. Originally called the Fountain of the Nymphs, it was constructed between 1547 and 1550 by architect Pierre Lescot and sculptor Jean Goujon in the new style of the French Renaissance. It is the oldest monumental fountain in Paris.
Linked themes: Architecture
This location is a scene in the book and movie “The Perfume”. It was on this location that the main character, Grenouille, was “eaten” by the crowd at the end of the story, because he was wearing “the perfume”.